02 October 2010

The Cookbook Challenge No. 46: Cup


There's something wonderful (well I think so anyway) about food served in little, tiny, individual vessels.

It's all your own.....You don't have to share with anyone!

So you can imagine my delight in choosing what recipe I would use for this week's theme - CUP.

I did have plans to make something completely different, but when this particular magazine came in the mail and I saw the front cover....my plans quickly changed....

Chocolate Layered Espresso Jellies
Cookbook:
Donna Hay Magazine #52


3 tsp gelatine powder
2 tbsp warm water
2 cups strong ground coffee
1/2 cup caster sugar
250g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup Marsala
2 1/2 cups pouring cream
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped


Place the gelatine and water in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the gelatine is absorbed. Place the coffee and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, add the gelatine mixture and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool for 20 mins. Pour the mixture into 8 x 1 cup capacity glasses and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set (I used little shot glasses).

Place the chocolate, Marsala and 1/2 cup of the cream in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.

Spoon the chocolate mixture over the jelly and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Place the remaining cream and vanilla in a bowl and whist until soft peaks form. Top the chocolate-layered jellies with the cream to serve.


You may have recognised these little babies a couple of posts ago, when I made them to take to an afternoon tea at a girlfriend's place who'd just had twins.


Confession time - To start with, I omitted the Marsala as one of my girlfriends is gluten intolerant and Marsala unfortunately contains malt. Secondly, I didn't bother adding the vanilla to the cream - I was happy to just add fresh cream.

I really enjoyed these, although there are a few things I'd change (for my taste buds). I didn't feel the jellies contained enough coffee flavour, so I'd up the strength of the coffee next time. Also, I felt the dark chocolate cream was way too rich. Perhaps a mix of milk/dark or just all milk chocolate???

Will I make again? Definitely....with a few little tweaks!


3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Having little cups of desserts always looks so magical. There's no messy cutting, no wondering how to split a cake... just grab and go , hide in a little corner and dig in with your spoon.

    These look so good.. chocolate is always yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this challenge too! Little individual servings in cups and glasses always look amazing. This looks so yummy and chocolatey, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Thankfully I didn't make too many so I couldn't hide in a corner and eat them all. I ate enough though....sigh

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!