27 September 2010

DARING BAKERS CHALLENGE: Decorated Sugar Cookies


The September 2010 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Mandy of What the Fruitcake?! Mandy challenged us to make Decorated Sugar Cookies based on recipes from Peggy Porschen and The Joy of Baking.

The theme Mandy set was September - whatever happens in our life in September is what our cookies are to be about.


To me, September is the beginning of Spring; the beginning of longer days and lighter nights; the smell of Jasmine flowers in the air; and tea parties!


I picked up these gorgeous cutters recently - perfect for my tea party theme.


I really, really enjoyed this challenge, however the part I found the hardest was actually the baking of the cookies...sorry, but I can hear my brother yelling "their biscuits" in the background, followed by "we're not American". I've been baking biscuits for years, but having recently installed a new oven, I'm still not 100% comfortable with the temperature settings and found I was burning the bottoms of these delicate little babies.


Once I managed to overcome that issue, it was smooth sailing....well as smooth as my fingers would let me be.

I'm not great at freehand drawing (fantastic at colouring in between the lines though) so it took some practice to get the flow going, but when it got going I was in seventh heaven...


Thank you so much Mandy for picking such a wonderful theme which really challenged me through to the end. I've come out of this challenge feeling a lot more confident...and perhaps with the start of a new little hobby.

To check out the other challengers, click here.


10 comments:

  1. Very cute cookies! Love the colors, very well piped! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look deliciuos! Great work on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shape and colors of your cookies! Very beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and sweet :) love them! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea of the tea party cookies! And I think you did an absolutely fab job icing them. So so pretty *__*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your comments guys! I had a ball with this challenge!! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous!!! I joined daring bakers and started this challenge.
    My biscuits turned out great but I have no imagination for
    icing and no patience so I didn't complete the task. We all enjoyed the biscuits
    but I am not good at decorating. Your biscuits are so cute and perfect!
    I am in awe of you, well done. I love the theme you chose too, just beautiful.
    I didn't pull this one off :( maybe next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these cookies, great job.....makes me want to have one.I found your site through daring bakers.

    www.cuminandcardamom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. GG - what a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing what you did. What do you mean you have no imagination - the dishes you make and your photos are alwasy absolutely beautiful! I'll be looking forward to next month!

    Thanks Renuka - just had a look at your cookies and they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cookies! Love the pastel colours and the delicate piping!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!